Sunday, July 28, 2013

Cravings and Cinnamon Sludge

Ever since discovering YourEatopia, I’ve been obsessively reading the forums and blogs, trying to prepare myself for every eventuality. I have some idea of what most people go through. And I keep reading all over the place about people getting insane cravings for one specific food. But up until now I had yet to experience it.

Then last night I woke up around 2:30 a.m. thinking about food. And then out of nowhere pancakes. And then even more out of nowhere IHOP, and before I know it I’m looking up IHOP’s menu on my iPad in bed at 2:30...who does that?? But I wanted red velvet pancakes soooo bad. But, it was 2:30 in the morning, what the heck could I do about it then? I had to content myself with a midnight snack from my own (seemingly insufficient at the time) kitchen--which was enough to put me back to sleep nearly until lunchtime. At which point, of course, I headed out the door to IHOP and got myself some red velvet pancakes.


With cream cheese icing and whipped cream. Yep, icing and whipped cream for breakfast. And powdered sugar, ohhh I love powdered sugar.... I am definitely getting these again, I don’t care WHAT time of day (as long as they’re open), I’ll have them for dinner after work if I have to. And I am totally dragging my family to IHOP when we go to the beach next week.

Apart from that...well, I killed some time at the Dollar Tree and found these gems:


Remember my Cookie Dough Bites? And the Cinnamon Bun and Cookies & Cream ones? Well, I was thrilled not only to find the Cookies & Cream ones for the first time down here (not counting Walgreens’ version), but also, from left to right: Fudge Brownie, Mint Chocolate Chip, [Cookies & Cream], and Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Bites!! Ahhh so excited to try them all!

I also treated myself to a new camera for the beach trip, because 1) mine doesn’t zoom very far and it’s old; 2) if I use my phone the battery dies after three or four hours; and 3) I don’t feel like lugging my iPad everywhere, especially down to the beach and shopping and mini golfing and all that. So I got this fancy pink one with wifi that can upload photos remotely (but Google keeps blocking my attempts to log in to Picasa...is it just me or are they getting as controlling as Apple?).

And then I tested out my new camera by making cinnamon roll dough. Well, sort of. It didn’t really turn out like dough, but that’s OK because I wasn’t intending to use it to make cinnamon rolls. I just needed something cinnamony. You’ll see why in Part 2...whenever I can get that up. Probably sometime tomorrow. Anywho...

I came across this recipe for “healthy” cinnamon rolls and, since I had most of the ingredients in my kitchen, decided to just throw something together based on it. Again, not intending to actually make cinnamon rolls. So let’s call this cinnamon sludge.

Ingredients:
  • 1/6 cup applesauce
  • 1.5 tablespoons liquid eggs (easier than trying halve an egg!)
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 4 truvia packets
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

If you read the original you’ll notice it calls for coconut flour...well, let’s just say coconut flour is not the same as white flour. Mainly, it absorbs A LOT more water. So I ended up with a just-mixed-not-yet-set pudding-type consistency. Not something you could roll out into dough. But again, THAT’S OK!


Oh, you want to know the process? Just dump it all in and mix it up. That’s the way I bake.


Or...not bake. I split the “sludge” in half and stuck half in the freezer and baked the other half in my toaster oven at 400 degrees. I thought it was done after 9 minutes...it certainly looked done on the surface...


Then I stuck my finger in it and discovered it was still liquid (albeit hot liquid now) inside. So back in it went for another 10 minutes....


And again it looks done, but it’s still a little sticky in the middle. So I gave up. It’s good enough now. Honestly, it was good enough licking out the bowl that I’d eat it plain as a liquid. Umm, which might not be a good thing because raw liquid eggs are still raw eggs. I think.

So anyway, we shall see which half better fits my purpose...but that’s for tomorrow. I’ll leave you in suspense until then. :)
Post a Comment