Saturday, July 13, 2013

Easy Squeezy "Mock" & Cheesy

My weekends are usually pretty boring. I might go out and get groceries so I’m ready for the rest of the week. That’s my typical adventure, and then I’m good for the rest of the week. But today was a different story. First, I met with the owner of the barn where Sydney will be living to go over the boarding contract, which just brings him that much closer to being here. I cannot wait! I can never decide who I miss more, my family or my horses! But then again, my horse is part of my family. :)


Anyway, I have been ordered by my therapist to see another movie, so that’s what I did this afternoon. The first time I saw Monsters University, which was pretty good. I enjoyed the first one more, but I think that might be because I was younger when it came out. Definitely a Disney production. Today I saw Kevin Hart Let Me Explain and...well, let’s just say it was the polar opposite of Monsters U.

And then I went to Kroger and spent a buttload of money...good thing my second paycheck just arrived. But I had a good reason, namely a food adventure: Mock & Cheese. Well, it basically just turned into a cauliflower/broccoli/cheese casserole. But whatever, it was really good! And, as I was feeling adventurous, I really didn’t follow any one recipe. Oh sure, I printed one, but none of my main ingredients matched and I totally nixed a lot of it. And halved the recipe(s).

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups chopped cauliflower (the “noodles”)
  • 1/2 cup chopped broccoli
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1/6 cup fat free vegetable broth
  • 1 tbsp flour
  • 3/4 shredded cheese
  • salt, pepper, seasonings, etc.

Use whatever milk, cheese, and seasonings you want. (If you’re a carnivore, you can switch up the broth too.) I used mozzarella (I know, not really the usual mac & cheese choice), salt, and a zesty garlic herb seasoning I found at Kroger. Today also happened to be the day I tried almond milk for the first time, so this is almost more daring than I can stand. :)


Once the veggies are chopped, boil them until they’re tender (but not too much). Then, heat the milk, broth, and flour in a saucepan over medium/low heat. When the flour mixes in, turn it up until it bubbles; it should thicken. At this point, take it off the stove and add the cheese. Mix until the cheese melts and then add seasonings to taste.


Add the vegetables and stir until everything has a fairly even coating. (They won’t be slathered like real mac & cheese.) Transfer to a baking dish.


You can stop here and stick it in the fridge until you’re ready to cook it. Or just go right ahead and bake at 375 until it starts bubbling, about 25-30 minutes.


Verdict? Yum! No, it’s not mac & cheese...better! But I’ve never been the biggest fan of pasta. And these are two of my all-time FAVORITE vegetables (and I love my veggies!). The zesty seasoning added just the right amount of zip and the mozzarella actually worked quite well. I usually prefer my vegetables raw and crispy, but this might just change my mind. It would be fun to experiment with different vegetables too. I’m thinking of maybe zucchini and/or spinach next time. I also might chop them up smaller or shred them next time, too.


So that’s today’s lesson: take risks! They really can pay off. You would not believe the seductive smell of that almond milk cooking in the saucepan...just like those holiday spritz cookies! Hmm, now there’s another idea....
Post a Comment