Friday, July 5, 2013

Edy's (Dreyer's) Maxx Chocolate Fudge Brownie (An Ice Cream Review)

For some reason Edy’s Maxx does not exist in central Pennsylvania. We have Edy’s Grand Butterfinger, but not Edy’s Maxx Butterfinger. Edy’s Grand Cookie Dough, but again not the Maxx version. So when the tiny supermarket in Yellowstone had pints of Maxx in the freezer section, I knew I had to try one. And since I was going through severe chocolate withdrawal, I chose Chocolate Fudge Brownie (I cannot for the life of me find an official website for Maxx).


Oh yeah, and it’s called Dreyer’s out here. Isn’t that cool? Now I can say I’ve eaten Dreyer’s ice cream!


Anyway, this little not-quite-pint (3.5 half-cup servings) taught me a huge lesson: When you’re staying in a hotel with a freezer that’s inside the fridge (not a separate compartment), and you want ice cream, buy it right before you intend to eat it. We bought this “pint” along with stuff to make a simple dinner, not knowing how sad the little “freezer” was. With the result that, a few hours later when I went for my ice cream, it was more like a milkshake.

OK, I’ll still give it my best shot. As far as I can tell, the chocolate ice cream is pretty standard. It’s well done and certainly has a rich chocolate flavor and, under different circumstances, I think it would be creamy (here it was just runny). Certainly not as dense as Ben & Jerry’s or Haagen-Dazs, but that’s not what I was expecting anyway. Nothing exciting here.


The brownies are the crowning achievement of this ice cream, and for me somewhat made up for the disappointment of semi-liquid, slurpable ice cream. They are chewy, soft and fudgy, and by far the best part. Luckily, there are a ton of them. Now I know why they call it “Maxx.” The chocolate chunks are crunchy, but not crazy hard. I don’t know how they’d be in a really, truly frozen pint, though. And they were giving me weird peanut vibes. At first I thought I must be imagining things, but nope—the very last impression I had as I finished up the final scoop was of peanuts. Maybe my taste buds are messed up.

There’s not a whole lot to say about Chocolate Fudge Brownie except that it’s really similar to any other brand of Chocolate Fudge Brownie ice cream you’ll run across. It’s just not an innovative flavor idea. To be sure, this is respectable ice cream, and if you’re craving chocolate (like I was), it will probably hit the spot.
Post a Comment