Monday, July 22, 2013

MinnieMaud: Day 2

Well, I’m on day two of MinnieMaud. I can’t say it’s easy, but it’s...well, it’s not as hard as I thought. Yet.


Yesterday I spent until about 10 o’clock in bed, which is a first for me. I definitely wasn’t sleeping, because I didn’t sleep hardly at all that night. I think I was just putting off getting the day started because I was afraid of having too much free time in which I would either 1) eat because I was bored, or 2) think about the exercise I wasn’t doing to burn off all that boredom-eating.

It turns out I can pass time, though. First there was breakfast...


The funny thing is that I never liked eggs until I started recovery. Well, I used to eat scrambled eggs when I was like five, but I don’t really count that because when you’re five and your dad makes scrambled eggs and sits them in front of you, you eat them. You don’t care when you’re five (at least I didn’t, I was too darn hungry!).

Wait, getting off track here. Anyway, I needed a toaster and some sort of project to fill the day with, so I found the Michaels/Walmart combination with the shortest distance between the two and headed out. I bought a sewing kit, toaster, some food, etc...and after lunch started assembling my wall of honor:


That’s only probably less than half of them; I only put up the Ben & Jerry’s. I started collecting the tops of pints I finished over the winter. I like to think of them as my medals, haha. The only problem is, that wall putty stuff doesn’t really hold them up so they keep falling down. Darn you Ben and Jerry, why didn’t you make the tops of your pints out of something lighter than cardboard??

I hung out reading at the pool for a while...and then discovered I have a problem, which is that when I get bored I go shopping for food, which means that I accumulate food faster than I can eat it. In this case it was four pints of ice cream, a box of Ciao Bella S’mores gelato sandwiches, and four protein bars, from Whole Foods. In my defense, I had a coupon for the protein bars and one pint. I justify the rest because Whole Foods is almost always a zoo, so I hardly ever go there, and when I do I make it worthwhile.


And the gelato sandwiches were all right. I plan on reviewing them later, but just for now...I’d stick with Skinny Cow. These are really only worth it when you hit a part with marshmallow swirl in it (which is less frequently than the box would like you to believe), and they’re pricey too.


I rounded off the night with some Pop-Tarts (new flavor!), an entire pint of some super chocolatey ice cream, cereal, and various other snack items. I’m still working on those cinnamon rolls, but...let’s just say over half of them are gone already. :)

Today was pretty dull. Wake up, go to work, eat, eat, eat some more, go home, eat...oh wait, this time it’s exciting because what did I eat?


PIZZA ROLLS! I haven’t had Pizza Rolls since grade school, when my mom used to make them with Bagel Bites and I always took the ones that exploded in the oven because I liked them that way and my sister didn’t. The kid in me is rejoicing right now.

On a more serious note, I’ve been doing some thinking about what all these recent developments mean for the blog. Obviously, on the plus side, I’ll be eating a lot more food and so doing a lot more food posts. But I’d also like to post a lot about the actual recovery process, because I feel like it’s something that’s hard to find information on--spoken as someone who has Googled endlessly about eating disorder recovery and “what to expect,” etc.

So it’s going to get messy here. With that in mind, I’ve set up a new blog called Full Speed Ahead, devoted solely to recovery...recipes, food, adventures, the whole process. For those of you who only want that part, hang out over there. I’ll still do double posts, so everything there will also be here, but so will the other stuff--reviews, random things, etc.

This is not to say that One Step at a Time no longer applies. This process, although the initial plunge may certainly be “full speed ahead,” is certainly about incremental progress as well as the larger goal. I just thought it might be getting too crazy for those of you who don’t want to bother with all the silly stuff and want to read the serious.

So now I’m brainstorming for a nighttime snack idea. If I ever want to be able to buy frozen food again, I should probably go attack more ice cream. In fact, it’s calling my name, the only problem is deciding which of those four pints to start with, or should I finish off an old one? ‘Scuze me, gotta run...I am allowed, as far as the freezer, anyway. ;)
Post a Comment