Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Review: Clif Bar Carrot Cake


I know I’m not the biggest fan of the original Clif bar, but occasionally I just get an urge for an oaty, molasses-ish bar. I really can’t explain it, it’s like something takes over my body and before I know it I’ve grabbed a Clif bar...or three, like I did on our last day in the Grand Tetons, at the Jenny Lake general store.

One of the three was Carrot Cake. I felt justified picking this one up because I’d never seen them before going out west.


It traveled around in my backpack all day, during the six-hour drive back to Salt Lake City, so it got a little smooshed. But it still smells like carrot cake, with the cinnamon/spice aroma. And the big chunk of carrot readily visible helps.


The one thing that always gets me about Clif bars--and I both love it and sometimes find it annoying--it the sticky, molasses-like texture. This one is similarly gooey, while still maintaining an oaty and slightly crispy texture underneath. The crisps try to be sneaky and hide, but they’re still discernible among the other components. This is a very easy bar to eat, though it is a little sticky to handle.

This bar is pretty accurate when it comes to tasting like carrot cake. It has all the right spices, and there are extra-gooey spots that have an especially powerful flavor. That said, I have to add that overall, it’s a relatively mild carrot cake. The oats kind of dull the taste, but they work better with this flavor than some of the others, particularly peanut butter or chocolate. Maybe because oats and carrot cake seem like a natural match to me (I find it similar to oatmeal raisin cookies).

Taste: 8--sporadic spot-on carrot cake patches, but overall the oaty taste makes it mild.
Texture: 9--it’s gooey but not too sticky, with an oaty crisp.
Health: 8--it has a ton of carbs, since it’s primarily an energy bar. But it also contains a lot of vitamins and minerals, and it’s mostly organic like most of Clif’s products. GoodGuide gives it an 8.
Eat Again? Sure.



Post a Comment