Friday, July 26, 2013

Review: Jay Bar Fudge Brownie

Today’s review is another protein bar I’ve never seen before going to Yellowstone: the Jay Bar. Apparently Jay Robb is a bodybuilder who is now committed to eating natural and helping people get in better shape with a 3-step plan.


I didn’t know all that at the time, of course, but Fudge Brownie looked good. And you know I can’t stay away from something I’ve never seen before. (The Peanut Butter and Cashew-Coconut looked good too, but I decided to keep it to a dull roar.)


This bar surprised me, because I was expecting a chocolate coating. But I guess brownies don’t have coating, so maybe it’s going for authentic. It’s really shiny and smells especially fudgy—not just chocolate, but deep and dark like, well, fudge.

Another surprise awaits: it’s crispy! All right, I know you can see the crisps in the pictures, but for some reason I just wasn’t expecting them. My mind doesn’t connect “brownie” with “crispy,” except in the sense that if you burn them, they’re crispy. Which in general is not a good thing. But here, once you get used to it, you can appreciate the way it breaks up the otherwise gummy texture. That’s gummy as in soft and chewy, not a tough mass, although it does get stuck in your teeth and is definitely not a brownie-ish texture. I should add that by the end my mouth was a little tired, so I wouldn’t recommend big bites. On the plus side, it’s not too sticky despite having no coating.

The taste is hard to describe; it’s certainly chocolate-like, but in a fake way. It doesn’t taste like chocolate, but it reminds me of chocolate. It’s a bit like a Tootsie Roll. Only easier to chew and crispy. OK, I’m doing a terrible job of describing this bar. It’s pretty good, but some people will be disappointed. A chocolate coating would have brought out a more realistic chocolate flavor.

So Jay obviously has good motives, but I probably wouldn’t buy this bar again. Just not enough chocolate for me. I love the texture and everything else, but the overall ensemble just doesn’t wow me. Still, it might be worth a try if you like Tootsie Rolls.

Taste: 7--sort of like a Tootsie Roll in that it’s chocolate flavored, but not chocolate.
Texture: 8--gummy but not overwhelming in smaller bites; the crisps help break up the texture.
Health: 7--it comes in at 14 grams of protein, but has 23 grams of carbs and a good deal of fat. Still, there’s a lot of fiber, and it also contains calcium and iron.
Eat Again? Nah.






Post a Comment