Friday, July 12, 2013

Review: Kate's Stash Bar Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate

You might wonder who Kate is. Well, I’m not sure exactly. All I know is that she “moved to Jackson Hole in the early ‘90’s” and created a line of meal/snack bars to take along for a day of skiing or hiking. At least, that’s what the packaging on the Stash Bar I bought in Jackson Hole tells me. And pretty much every ingredient starts with the word “Organic”; the bar prides itself on being made with “wholesome” foods and supporting organic farming.


The Stash Bar (from what I saw, they all have different names; the Tiki Bar is mango) is Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate flavored. And boy, does it smell like peanut butter! As soon as you open the wrapper, you feel like you’ve stuck your nose in the peanut butter jar. And there are veins of chocolate running through it, liquid-like chocolate that sometimes smears the wrapper (or your fingers).


Umm, not only does it smell really peanut buttery, it is really peanut buttery! I know for a fact that I’ve never had anything in the way of meal bars come this close to real peanut butter. And it tastes like natural peanut butter, too: very salty and nutty, not at all sweet. If you were expecting Jif or your typical supermarket peanut butter, sorry. This is the real thing.


It’s sort of crispy, but mostly oaty in texture. The addition of the oats does contribute to a bit of a dull, sour, plain-oat aftertaste once the peanut butter fades away and the oats get stuck in your teeth, but for all that peanut butter I can take it! The peanut butter also gets stuck around in your mouth, which is totally fine by me. The best part is that it gives the whole bar a creamy, oily (in a good way) peanut butter texture on top of the oats and crisps. I just love how the whole thing screams peanut butter.

It’s funny, because I didn’t notice it at the time, but looking back at my notes, I don’t even mention the chocolate. It’s like it wasn’t there. I can remember getting hints of it, but it’s more as a very mild afterthought.

The only other thing I can find wrong with this bar is that it’s a bit crumbly and messy for something you’d be eating on the slopes. The oats are more loosely bound together than your typical granola bar. But despite that, I’d totally buy it again. This is the most “real” peanut butter bar I’ve had to date. Not that I don’t enjoy the other ones, for different reasons. But this bar is naked, raw peanut butter.
Post a Comment