Thursday, July 4, 2013

Review: ZonePerfect Double Dark Chocolate

Happy 4th of July everyone! I am waiting for my mom to get here and filling my time with brownies...baking them, that is! They are an experiment, so post coming soon...but in the mean time I have a rather old review for you.

Sometime during the winter, I started putting the protein bars I bought in a box in the kitchen instead of in the basement, since it wasn’t hot enough to make chocolate coatings melt. The result was that when the weather suddenly decided to turn straight to midsummer, I forgot to move them back downstairs.

Well, no harm done, at least for the ZonePerfect Double Dark Chocolate bar that I bought to spend my sister’s leftover meal points at the end of the semester.


The coating was softer than I’m used to, but by no means a melted mess. It was actually kind of cool to see the goo factor when I broke it in half. It had me wondering if I misread the product description until I realized that it wasn’t caramel, just softened coating.


Plus, there’s no mistaking this bar for caramel because it smells REALLY chocolatey. It tastes really chocolatey, too. I’ll take their word for it that the coating is dark chocolate, because based on the taste it really could go either way. It’s sweeter than I usually associate with dark chocolate, with some milky tones; but at the same time it’s not quite milk chocolate either. It’s a cool mix between the two.

The crisps inside are definitely dark chocolate. They’re airy and not too dense, about like a Rice Krispies Treat. It’s very easy to eat quickly, but it’s possible to savor this bar, too. The coating is melt-in-your-mouth, probably at least partially due to the warmth.

The overall effect is a candy-like snack that satisfies a chocolate craving. There is no protein taste, only the rich milky-dark chocolate. I’m beginning to like ZonePerfect’s Dark line, after I enjoyed their Caramel Pecan bar. It’s something I would turn to if I wanted candy without being totally unhealthy. It’s definitely one of my favorite ZonePerfect flavors.

Taste: 9--it’s a cross between milk and dark chocolate, which is unique in a cool way. The chocolate overload is great for chocoholics.
Texture: 9--crispy interior with a smooth, silky chocolate coating that melts in your mouth.
Health: 8--there are a lot more carbs than protein, but you have to consider that you could be eating a candy bar instead. It also has a ton of extra vitamins and minerals.
Eat Again? Yes.


Post a Comment