Monday, August 19, 2013

Ben & Jerry's Half Baked (An Ice Cream Review)


It’s about time I tried Ben & Jerry’s Half Baked for real, since I’ve already had the Froyo version multiple times. And I tried to scoop out the petrified version in the freezer back home in Pennsylvania that’s left over from spending my meal points...two years ago. Which doesn’t count, because I could hardly even scratch the surface.



This was sort of an impulse buy, in that I already had several perfectly good ice cream in the freezer, but I was out shopping (like I do everyday now, haha) and you know I just can’t not walk down the ice cream aisle. And you probably also know that when I walk down the ice cream aisle, I can’t not pick out something to bring home.


I think it’s perfectly sound logic, especially since it got this pint of loveliness into my stomach. Here we have “Chocolate and Vanilla Ice Creams mixed with Gobs of Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough & Fudge Brownies.” See that? Not just cookie dough, but gobs of cookie dough. Now that’s the way I like it.

So basically this is a cross between B&J’s Chocolate Fudge Brownie and Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough. Having never had the latter, I can’t make comparisons there, but I can say for sure that the chocolate components are a watered-down version of Chocolate Fudge Brownie. Whereas that flavor has enormous chunks that could equal a normal-sized serving of a brownie, the biggest one I got in here was about the size of a quarter and not very thick. And they were crunchy. I have no idea how you could put brownies--even overcooked brownies, which these obviously were--into ice cream and have them be crunchy, it’s just beyond my comprehension. They were also a little tough, and while they tasted fine and brownie-ish, they just weren’t much fun. I’ve had better

The cookie dough was the saving grace. It was soft and easily cut through with a spoon, just like the base ice creams. Even in spoonfuls without visible cookie dough chunks, I was getting a cookie dough grit (and I love cookie dough grit!). These chunks are bigger than the brownies (for the most part), taste just like eating a tube of cookie dough, and have the perfect hint of brown sugar. Basically, they’re everything you ever wanted in cookie dough. If the chunks in the actual cookie dough ice cream are even bigger, I need to hook myself up with a pint right away.


I haven’t commented on the bases yet because they really weren’t all that exciting. They were the standard creamy, super-dense and delicious Ben & Jerry’s fare, but beyond that.... The chocolate wasn’t deep or complex or anything other than Ben & Jerry’s chocolate. And the vanilla more often than not got lost in the chocolate, which is a shame because I’m one of those weirdos who, given the choice, will pick vanilla. Still, just like the Chocolate Fudge Brownie, this is MUCH better than the froyo version. Just maybe not enough to make it back into my crowded freezer.
Post a Comment