Sunday, August 25, 2013

Ben & Jerry's Target Exclusive Peanut Butter Jam Session (An Ice Cream Review)


If you remember, it took me three tries at three different Targets before I found any of Ben & Jerry’s new Target exclusive flavors, and then I only found Rockin’ Blondies. Well, I was near a Target yesterday after going to the movies, so I took advantage of the chance and picked up the new Peanut Butter Jam Session.


This is “Peanut Butter Ice Cream with a Crunchy Peanut Butter Swirl and a Raspberry Swirl.” It really is supposed to be PB&J in a pint. As a kid, I ate a few PB&Js, but more often than not I ditched the J. But I did enjoy them. The only problem here is that I don’t like raspberry much.


Still, new and exclusive flavor and you got me, B&J. Both swirls are visible just under the surface, and the smell is primarily peanut butter. I’m not picking up any fruit whatsoever, which is comforting.


My first spoonful really illuminated the difference between this swirl and the usual peanut butter swirl: I got a chopped-up peanut. It’s just like the difference between creamy and crunchy in the peanut butter aisle, which I guess isn’t a surprise. The amazing thing was that even though I couldn’t really see or taste that I was eating peanut butter swirl, the peanuts confirmed it.


The jam seems to be smeared all over; it’s in almost every bite, but it’s not overwhelming. Oh sure, there were a few pockets of raspberry that completely took over everything with their tart fruit flavor, but that only happened to me once or twice. And, to be fair, the same thing happened with the peanut butter swirl, only I found those occurrences to be heavenly. Pure peanut butter goodness, but you could still taste the individual peanuts in there as well. The peanut butter started coming in much thicker spurts about 1/4 of the way down. In fact I hit a couple spots that my spoon got stuck in, because the peanut butter was so thick.

The base is a very smooth, peanut butter flavor. In fact it matches the taste of the swirl (sans peanuts), the only difference is that it’s a little milder and more prone to turning into jam when the raspberry starts getting stronger. But overall, everything here works in harmony. I ended up enjoying it more than I’d expected; it’s a really good replication of the classic sandwich. I might actually buy this again, if I get in the mood and I’m close to a Target. The good news is that I live close to a Target.
Post a Comment