Saturday, August 24, 2013

Kroger Deluxe Snickerdoodle Ice Cream

Ever since becoming an avid Ben & Jerry’s fan, I have lamented the fact that I became a fan long after the limited-edition Snickerdoodle ice cream had come and gone (like, a couple years too late). I love snickerdoodles and I love ice cream and above all Ben & Jerry’s ice cream, plus until now I had yet to see snickerdoodle ice cream in a store. It was just majorly depressing.



But my all-time favorite store (a.k.a. Kroger) came to the rescue! And on top of being snickerdoodle ice cream, it’s also cheaper-than-brand-name ice cream, so I just scored double points picking up this carton.

I really wish Kroger would put descriptions on their containers because that would just make life so much easier. I suppose they’re thinking we ought to be able to guess what’s in snickerdoodle ice cream, but really, there are so many variables. Are there pieces of cookies? A swirl? Is the base ice cream cinnamon flavored or snickerdoodle flavored? I mean, come on, I’m dying in suspense here!


OK, I know you are too, so I’ll help you out. Yes, there are actual cookies inside this container. I was so excited when I saw them. For the most part, they’re small, about the size of a pencil eraser, with a few larger. They’re crumbly and probably would be crunchy if they weren’t immersed in melting dairy. It’s hard to get a read on the individual taste among the ice cream, but they are fun in terms of texture and, well, they’re obviously snickerdoodles. I like ’em.


The base is tough to describe. It really reminded me of the overall taste of Ben & Jerry’s Cinnamon Buns, which has a caramel base, along with the cinnamon components. So I’d say it’s cinnamon, but a very sweet cinnamon, which would account for the notes of caramel.




This stuff is slightly denser and creamier than the other Kroger flavors I’ve tried so far, since those were frozen dairy desserts and this is actually legitimate ice cream. It’s still lighter than premium brands, but it’s really good quality for a store-brand ice cream. The only thing I would add is perhaps a swirl of cinnamon streusel, similar to Ben & Jerry’s Cinnamon Buns. I absolutely loved this flavor, and you can bet it’s coming back to my freezer!
Post a Comment