Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Market Pantry Monster Cookie Ice Cream


When Ben & Jerry’s released their two new Target-exclusive flavors, I tore down to the nearest store to buy them...only to find that they weren’t in stock yet. Not even a tag on the freezer shelf for them!

Since it seemed dumb to drive 15 minutes down the freeway in the dark and back with nothing to show for it, I decided to invest my money instead in some store-brand ice cream.


In case you didn’t know what a monster cookie is, it’s a magnificent conglomeration of peanut butter, oatmeal, M&M’s, and chocolate chips...I probably left something out there. I’ve never actually had a monster cookie, so I’m just going by what’s in this ice cream.


The first time I saw this I almost bought it, but my freezer was already filled so I decided to wait. And then I never saw it again for about a month, despite returning to Target periodically to check. But it was worth the wait because I love peanut butter so much and, well, this ice cream is predominantly peanut butter.

It’s the base. There aren’t actual peanut butter swirls, the flavor is just everywhere. And the smell as soon as you open the container...wow! There aren’t a whole lot of non-premium ice creams that use a peanut butter base (the only other one I’ve ever tried was Breyers’ Reese’s Blast!), so this was cool to see. And eat. No pun intended.


I have to say, though, that beyond that it’s a toss-up. The fudge flakes don’t really add much. They’re thin and break really easily and they’re not high-quality. I think they’re dark chocolate, but it’s hard to tell if their bitterness stems from that or just cheap chocolate. The M&M’s (which is what we’ll call them for the sake of sanity, I doubt they’re actually M&M’s because that sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen) are super hard. Like, not just frozen hard--they were that, too--but even when I let them sit out and melt in my mouth they were still super crunchy. Which is sad because I like my chocolate soft so I can enjoy the flavor.

Last but not least--the cookies. Well, they’re chewy, I’ll give them that. I guess my main problem with them was the oatmeal texture, which I really should have seen coming. But they didn’t taste distinct from the base, I never got a hint of oatmeal other than the feel of the oats in these little balls.


As far as texture, it’s fairly light and fluffy. It melts quickly. But all that is basically what you’d expect from store-brand light(er) ice cream. Still, I’d buy it again. Especially if I’m in a crisis where they don’t have what I came for and I don’t want to look stupid walking out of the store with nothing. But beyond that, too, because it really is a good ice cream.
Post a Comment