Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Review: Bobo's Oat Bars Chocolate

Until now, I have never heard of Bobo. But when you’re walking through the grocery store, how can you resist buying something labeled “Bobo’s Oat Bars”? I mean, is that an awesome name, or what?



All right, I’ll be honest, what attracted me to this bar as much as the name was its generous size. It’s quite thick, and all those oats seem to be densely packed. I picked Chocolate because, well, who doesn’t like chocolate?

Bobo’s Oat Bars are natural, organic, and in this case, wheat-free. (That doesn’t mean gluten-free; they do have a separate line of gluten-free bars, though.) It’s also vegan, at least that’s what the wrapper claims. It seems to be mainly carbohydrates, although there is a decent amount of fiber.


It reminds me of a little loaf of bread--soft and easily breakable, even a little crumbly. I don’t know what holds it together, but it’s not sticky at all like Clif bars. It’s like an oat-bread. Given that, it might be messy on the go. I still can’t get over the bread thing, I’m almost tempted to eat this with a fork.

Now, for the chocolate part...well, it’s not very chocolatey. I can taste the oats more, in fact it sort of reminds me of an oatmeal raisin cookie. Only without the raisins and lacking some of the oaty, sweet flavor that I can’t quite describe but that makes me think of carrot cake. It’s also kind of dry (going back to the crumbles), but at the same time there’s a moistness to the overall thing. Sort of like bread, you could call it moist in some respects but it’s also dry...OK, I know I’m not making any sense.

I liked this bar well enough, and I was satisfied when I finished. It’s just way too light on the chocolate. No way could I convince my sister (or probably anyone else in my family) to eat more than a crumb of this. I’m afraid that the name of the product sets expectations too high that will never be met. That’s not to say it isn’t good; but if you are having a true chocolate craving, look somewhere else.

Taste: 7--not very chocolatey, more of an oat taste.
Texture: 9--like bread made of oats; crumbly and dry, but also moist in a way.
Health: 5--it’s natural and organic and non-GMO and all that jazz, but I’m having a hard time figuring out why a bar that’s mostly carbs would be healthy.
Eat Again? Probably not.


Post a Comment