Friday, September 6, 2013

Ben & Jerry's Cheesecake Brownie (An Ice Cream Review)


I do not like cheesecake. Somehow, every time there is a cheesecake around, especially a kind that involves chocolate, I convince myself that it’s going to be oh so delicious, and I take a big slab and...bleh. It’s not so disgusting that I can’t finish it, I just end up thinking it was a perfectly good waste of dessert and I could have so much more room in my stomach for yummy brownies instead.

But my mission is to try every flavor of Ben & Jerry’s that doesn’t sound like a total waste of money (so all the ones I don’t like...i.e., fruity things are pretty much out). So I had to try Cheesecake Brownie sooner or later, although I was somewhat apprehensive about “Cheesecake Ice Cream with Cheesecake Brownie Chunks.”


I’ve debated buying this even way back when I still lived in State College. (Funny how three months can seem like “way back.”) But I was never sure if I’d like it and for some reason just wasn’t as outgoing then. I like to think I’ve branched out a little since, so perhaps here’s the proof?


We start out nicely, with a fluffy off-white base that smells strongly of cheesecake. It tastes, however...like cake batter! A couple spoonfuls in and I was asking myself what the hell took me so long to try this in the first place.

OK, maybe there is still a cheesecake-y taste, but it’s not like eating cheesecake. If that makes any sense. Point being, I don’t like cheesecake but I loved this base. It’s sweeter than it is cheesy, which is probably why. It’s also creamy, but at the same time not as dense as most B&J’s ice creams. It’s still super-premium stuff, and I’ll tell you right now (though it’s early on yet) that I’m buying more of this the next time I can get to a store that sells it.


Now, the brownies. Let’s have a talk, Ben and Jerry, about these brownies. I understand that you would want cheesecake brownies for your Cheesecake Brownie ice cream, but you would have done so much better using the famous Greyston Bakery brownies. There’s a reason people love Chocolate Fudge Brownie and Half Baked, and it’s those brownies. These cheesecake cubes will not make anyone love Cheesecake Brownie.


Yes, they’re brownies. Crumbly brownies. Dry, at times crunchy brownies, which is an admirable feat considering they are immersed in melting ice cream. That’s like having a crunchy Oreo cookie at the bottom of a tall glass of milk. And they’re a bit odd-tasting as well. Certainly not sweet, in fact they’re almost sour or at least bitter. I couldn’t really taste the cheesecake, but maybe that was what made them not really taste like a great chocolate brownie.

All right, they weren’t terrible. I’ve just had much better brownies in my lifetime. The brownies in Blue Bunny’s Fat Free Brownie Sundae ice cream are better, but still...give me chocolate and I’ll enjoy it at least a teeny bit. These are smaller than their more delicious cousins, but they’re everywhere so it probably ends up evening out. At one point I got three cubes in one spoonful.

Despite the brownies, I adore this ice cream. Enough to make me cry that Kroger doesn’t carry it. And that I have yet to find a Food Lion that sells it either, because those are the only two stores I really shop at anymore. But I’m willing to go out of my way for another pint of this. Ben and Jerry, if you don’t love me by now, you surely should. I am contributing massively to your profits! :)
Post a Comment