Monday, September 2, 2013

Blue Bell Red Velvet Cake (An Ice Cream Review)


Since I love all things cake, I’ve been dying to try Blue Bell’s version of Red Velvet Cake. It’s just the most recent in a long line of red velvet ice creams I’ve tried, including Ben & Jerry’s not-so-wittily named...um, Red Velvet Cake; and Front Porch’s slightly more creative Scarlett Red Velvet. Can we get some ingenuity in the red velvet sector, please?



Maybe the name isn’t exciting, but I still love those little windows at the top of Blue Bell cartons that allow you to see the ice cream inside. It’s like Talenti, but not quite as...naked. Hmm, shall we say Blue Bell is a more modest ice cream choice?


All right, I’ll get back on track. This actually looks almost identical to B&J’s version, with the pastel pink ice cream and darker cake pieces. The main difference is the Blue Bell sides with the other companies and uses a cake-flavored base (vs. B&J’s cake batter). This one, though, is so sweet that it almost borders on batter, but there is still that distinctly “cakey” flavor (those of you who have licked the bowl--you know the difference).


The little flecks of cake are pretty cool; they make me think of vanilla bean ice cream with the black speckles. Sure, they don’t really add anything to the flavor or texture, but I like the way they look. The big chunks of cake, however, are the star of the show: moist and chewy, almost like a brownie, with lots of cocoa flavor. They’re actually a lot like B&J’s mix-in, with the exception that I kept getting a bitter aftertaste from them. So I guess B&J’s wins in that department.

Blue Bell’s premium ice cream is less dense and not as creamy as other brands’, as was the case here, but it’s still respectable. It gets nice and creamy as it melts down, and you don’t have to wait forever for it to be scoopable. It’s just not my favorite texture in the world. Nor is this my favorite Blue Bell flavor, but that doesn’t mean I didn’t like it. It was very enjoyable, and though I wouldn’t buy it again, I’m glad I gave it a try.
Post a Comment