Friday, September 27, 2013

Breyers Blasts! Mrs. Fields Chocolate Chunk Cookie Dough

I know some people hate “frozen dairy desserts,” but I love them. No, they don’t have the same texture as ice cream, but I happen to like that texture very much, thank you, which is why I keep filling my freezer with Kroger’s Jammed FDDs. However, in doing so, I’ve neglected my old favorite Breyers Blasts!, which I finally decided to re-incorporate when I saw them at Food Lion this week. (For the sake of my sanity, I will refer to it as “ice cream” henceforth.)


Now technically I’ve had the Mrs. Fields Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Blast! before, but it was a long time ago and I didn’t give it the attention it deserved. So here we go, and it already has a slight advantage since I know it was one of my favorites!


OK, see here’s the thing. The cookie dough might be really really small teeny pieces (did I mention they’re tiny?), BUT there is incredible cookie dough flavor in every aspect of this ice cream. It helps that there are a crap-ton of those little cookie dough pellets, but it’s also the fact that the base itself is cookie dough flavored! Yay!!! This is the only one other than Penn State Berkey Creamery’s cookie dough ice cream that uses a flavored base. This is where Ben & Jerry’s missed their chance. Because, honestly, I would pick this over B&J’s. Yep, I said it, and I do not say that lightly!


The chocolate holds its own as well, somewhere in between great chocolate and cheap chocolate. I’m not too picky, I just like chocolate, so if there’s chocolate I’m good. These are on the small side for chocolate chip mix-ins, just like the cookie dough, but that’s fine because once again, there are so many that they carry a big flavor in every bite.

This is pretty damn near perfect cookie dough ice cream. Combine that with the slightly fluffy, creamy-once-melted texture of the frozen dairy desserts, and I already want another carton. In fact it only took me two days to blow through this one. Well, technically it only takes me two days to blow through any carton, but usually I take a day or two break in between. Not so for this one. For sure, it will be a regular from now on!

Post a Comment