Monday, September 9, 2013

Ciao Bella Dark Chocolate Sorbet

If you remember my last (and first) attempt at sorbet, you’ll remember that it didn’t go over too well. It was icy and just overall not enjoyable. However, I was subsequently informed that sorbet usually is creamy, despite my experience, and that assurance was enough to let me give Ciao Bella’s Dark Chocolate sorbet a try.



Now, even though there are only 160 calories per serving, this stuff is actually even denser than super-premium ice cream like Ben & Jerry’s, at 112 grams per half cup. It’s also, unfortunately, quite icy-looking on top.


It certainly starts out a little icy, but it’s still a lot creamier than the last sorbet I tried. And as it warmed up and melted a bit, it got creamier. It still didn’t resemble ice cream, but that’s why it’s not called ice cream! I did microwave it for about 5 seconds, just to see if that would help, but no matter how long I let it sit or how much it melted down, it was always just a little icy.


But the flavor...wow. When they say dark they mean it! This tastes exactly like a Hershey’s Special Dark bar, when you suck on it (OK maybe I’m weird) for a while. It’s even more amazing that they could duplicate the flavor so closely without any dairy at all! And whereas dark ice creams are very sweet (it’s just the nature of ice cream, I guess), this embraces the bitter aspect of dark chocolate in a way that ice cream can’t. As deep and dark as Chocolate Therapy is, it doesn’t have that bittersweet taste. This is unique, and I really, really like it.


So my second sorbet experience was definitely better than the first. This was quite rich and creamy, if not my favorite texture ever. I’m still not much of a sorbet person, but this one almost sold me on it. I’m still amazed at the flavor--it was like eating a cold Special Dark bar, and I looove Special Dark bars. I’d even consider picking it up again, which is saying something because my freezer space is at a premium right now!
Post a Comment