Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Food Roundup 3: Chocolate Edition


All right, here’s the deal. I have four different snacks I’d like to write about and I have to admit that I don’t have a ton to say about any of them...at least not enough to make them into their own blog post...so we’re going to have another Food Roundup. So, this means no pointless short posts, but it also means one long monster post.

Special K Brownie Bites


Let’s start with the success, shall we? These Brownie Bites give me a whole new respect for Special K...they put the Pastry Crisps to shame in the “dessert” category.


The blondie ones basically taste just like eating cookie dough. White chocolate chips and all. And this coming from someone who LOVES cookie dough. They were so good I had to go back and get the regular brownie ones, which are like a very moist and fudgy brownie (OK, not exactly but they are like little cookie dough balls flavored like chocolate). I absolutely adore these and I don’t know what I’m going to do when they run out. (OK I do, I’m going to buy more!)

Fiber One 90 Calorie Peanut Butter Brownie


I’ve had previous success with the Fiber One 90 Calorie Cookies, Original Brownies, and Cinnamon Coffee Cake. Since I love peanut butter, I figured this could only get better, right? Meh. Since I love peanut butter, I wanted it to taste like peanut butter. It doesn’t. Well, maybe a very little bit in an odd, burnt way. But it’s basically like the plain chocolate brownie only it tastes weirder, probably because they tried to make it peanut butter. Like I said, it’s not.

Weight Watchers Chocolate Cream Cake


I’m really into these mini snacks that are supposedly good for you...I’m not sure why, all I can say is they always look really good on the outside of the box. What I always forget is that usually “healthy” translates into “portion-controlled,” which for me translates into “way too small,” which is what I would call these. They’re even smaller than the Fiber One brownies. And they’re actually kind of tasteless as well. Sure, you can tell it’s chocolate, but it’s not a particularly memorable chocolate. And the cream? It’s like a little teensy dot of filling. You can’t taste it. You can’t feel it texture-wise. The only thing I will say is that the frosting is decent, but only because I’ve yet to come across a frosting I don’t like. (Another lie, no fruity frostings or weirdo whipped-cream stuff for me.)

Ciao Bella S’mores Gelato Squares


These were the biggest disappointment for me. Not just because of their price at Whole Foods, but because Ciao Bella really impressed me with their Sea Salt Caramel gelato. Plus the whole idea of a gelato sandwich instead of an ice cream sandwich is so cool, and this company specializes in gelato. And, s’mores are just awesome because they have marshmallow, and I love marshmallow swirls in my ice cream, and so just looking at that picture on the box got me really jazzed.

So what’s wrong with them? OK, maybe it’s me. I like to eat my ice cream sandwiches by letting them melt a bit and then dissecting them with the help of a spoon, licking around the edges and then peeling off the top wafer, eating the ice cream off and then eating both wafers. (I really do have a weird relationship with food.) Here, the gelato doesn’t really melt the same so it didn’t work. So I tried eating it like a normal person and it just tasted mostly like a chocolate ice cream sandwich with graham wafers instead of chocolate ones. There’s the odd marshmallow swirl or fudge--and that’s when these are totally worth it--but that happens a lot less frequently than they’d like you to believe from the box. The second one I ate, I determinedly dissected, only to discover that eating plain graham wafers isn’t nearly as cool as eating plain chocolate wafers. Go figure. Skinny Cow wins this one.


Jet-Puffed Mallow Bits


And finally, we have something every kid should love. You know those marshmallows that come in some hot chocolate packets? Well now you don’t have to pay more just for your pre-mixed-in marshmallows, because Jet-Puffed Mallow Bits come in a handy jar with a shaker lid!


Well, half of the lid, when you open it, is a shaker. The other half is just a big gaping hole for pouring them out of. (That’s the side I use.) These also come in vanilla flavor. I thought they’d be just like the dehydrated marshmallows in cereal, but apparently hot chocolate dehydrated marshmallows are slightly different. They’re not as crunchy, which is what I love about Lucky Charms marshmallows (which are the only reason I eat Lucky Charms). In fact they’re kind somewhere between a real marshmallow and a dehydrated one in terms of chewiness. They’re a bit weird. The best word I can think of to describe them is soggy, but that’s not right either...sorry. Maybe you should just try them for yourself. ;)

Wow, what a chocolate-filled (and long, sorry!) roundup we have here...but then again this is me rounding up, so I shouldn’t be surprised. In summary: Go buy Special K Brownie Bites. That’s non-negotiable, but the rest are up to you. For me, the jury’s still out on whether or not I’ll buy Ciao Bella’s Sea Salt Caramel squares next time I’m at Harris Teeter.
Post a Comment