Thursday, September 19, 2013

Harris Teeter Chocolate Caramel Brownie Froyo

There’s a Harris Teeter right down the street from where Sydney lives, so I decided to go check it out one night on my way home (even though it’s in the wrong direction, so maybe not quite “on the way”). Since I don’t shop at Harris Teeter very often, I usually have a pretty good time finding fun ice cream that I can’t get anywhere else, which is really what I was going for. However, I just wasn’t feeling it at that particular store. You know it’s bad when you come home with store-brand frozen yogurt.


Well, OK, I bought it because of the picture on the carton. It made me want chocolate and brownies and caramel. And I’ve never tried the Harris Teeter brand (I did have some of the H.T. Trader’s premium stuff in Virginia Beach). Since Harris Teeter is a bit of a step up from where I usually shop (i.e., Kroger), I was expecting a higher-quality store brand ice cream.


Hmm. I know you can’t really tell from that picture, but it’s icy. Even the little splotches of caramel look icy. I was hoping it was just the top layer, because maybe it melted a little bit and then re-froze on the way home...but sadly, nope. You can tell it’s froyo and I don’t mean that as a compliment. It does get creamier as it melts, but you could say that about pretty much any frozen product and here, it doesn’t really mean much.


On to the taste, because if it tastes good then maybe there’s a chance I’d buy it again. The chocolate is mellow and light, rather than rich, but considering this is low fat that’s expected. But there’s something a little off about it too, like a bitterness that isn’t bitter like dark chocolate, but bitter like not-chocolate. The taste isn’t bad, it’s about on par with any other generic chocolate ice cream, but it’s not something I’m going to remember.

Sometimes the mix-ins can save a less-than-ideal base. But the brownies, while chewy to some extent, are mostly hard and stale and taste like a cheap store brownie. They’re a smallish-sized cube and there are plenty of them, and I suppose they are the star of the show, but that’s not saying very much. As for the caramel...I wouldn’t have known it was there if I hadn’t seen it, or if I hadn’t gotten a spoonful with a disproportionate amount.




So, all in all--not going to buy this again. I don’t even know whether to bother with any more Harris Teeter-brand ice cream. I haven’t had much luck so far.
Post a Comment