Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Keep On Keeping On

The last few days have left me with absolutely no energy or motivation to do anything other than go to work, ride, and worry that I’ll never stop gaining weight. I’m not sure where all of this yuckiness came from, but here it is and when life gives you lemons you know what you’re supposed to do, right?

On the plus side, I’ve pretty much doubled my intake during the day and the result is that I’m naturally eating less at night (even if only slightly), I’m not sure what I was so afraid of in the first place, I should have done this a looonnng time ago! But sometimes (and this has happened to me multiple times in recovery so far), you need to get stuck in a certain place for a while before you can move forward, either because you’re feeling ready or because you’re just sick of where you are now. Of course, I’m sort of sick of still gaining so much weight, and weirdly enough a lot of people stop gaining by eating more, so I’m wondering if I should just give that a try.

Anyway, what with eating more during the day, I can have a lot more fun with food during the day as well. On Saturday I ate another pizza from Domino’s for lunch, only this time I didn’t feel bad about it and think about eating “sensibly” (read: less) the rest of the day. It was just as YUM as last time, though. :)

Sunday was homemade mac & cheese day! I’ve never made my own macaroni and cheese before. I usually just eat my mom’s. Well, I think I may have helped her shred the cheese for it once, but that’s the easy part!

Anyway, I found this recipe and it looked easy enough, plus I had a coupon for two boxes of pasta at Kroger so I needed to do something with them! I followed that recipe exactly, only I used almond milk and left out the cayenne. Aren’t you proud of me? For once I followed the actual recipe!


Well that wasn’t nearly fun enough, just doing what I was supposed to like a good girl, so of course I had to experiment a little, although in this case I’m not the one eating my experiment. See, I’m running out of horse treats, it’s a pain in the butt to try and ship anything because none of the companies will leave packages outside my door, and I never feel like driving out to Dover Saddlery after I drive to work and/or the store and then to the barn. So why not pamper Sydney with homemade cookies, made with love? Plus it’s cheaper. And I need to use up my applesauce before it goes bad. But he doesn’t know either of those things, he knows I did this because I love him. ;)

So basically I started by following a recipe I found online:
  • 1/2 cup applesauce
  • 1/4 cup molasses
  • 4 chopped baby carrots
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 cups Cheerios
  • 2 cups oatmeal
  • 1 cup Rice Krispies (or the ever inventive Kroger brand “Crisp Rice”!)
If you’re looking at that thinking “How on earth is 1/2 cup applesauce + 1/4 cup molasses bind all that dry stuff into horse cookies?!”...well, that’s what I thought, too. And it didn’t. Basically it was a slightly sticky bowl of cereal and oatmeal. Uh yeah, no. I’m sure Sydney would still love it, but it’s not something I can put in my pocket to give to him later.

So, here’s where my wonderful cooking skills came in and I just started pouring applesauce and molasses in. I have no idea how much I used, just that it was more than half the jar of applesauce and probably a little less of the molasses. It was...interesting. I used the most enormous mixing bowl I have (and it’s bigger than any of the ones we had in Pennsylvania) and there was still stuff spilling over the edges. When it came time to bake it, I just pressed it onto a cookie sheet, and it took up the whole thing plus the one that came with my toaster oven.


Well, after about 25-30 minutes at 375, I had horse cookies! I just broke it up as I took it off the cookie sheet. It filled three decent-sized containers, I have two in my fridge right now and one is already half empty at the barn. Needless to say, Sydney likes my experiment. :)

That’s all for tonight. Hopefully something will ease off in the next few days. If not, well...we’ve just gotta keep on keeping on, right?
Post a Comment