Saturday, September 7, 2013

Kroger Deluxe Jammed Peanut Butter Candy Crunch (An Ice Cream Review)

I’ve made it pretty clear that I love Kroger. I save money all the time there. They give me discounts on gas. And they make some pretty good ice cream. I’ve already fallen in love with their Cupcake Party frozen dairy dessert, and I’ve been eyeing up some of the others. So I finally bought a pint of Peanut Butter Candy Crunch, also from the Jammed line.


Aka Butterfingers. I’m still not sure why they can’t just put that in the name, I mean the logo is on the front so it’s not like we have a trademark issue here. Or at least a description? Oh well, I learned from the Baby Ruth experience to do a double take with these flavors, especially since they don’t have descriptions.


So I would have grabbed it just from the “peanut butter” even if I hadn’t seen the Butterfingers logo, but that just sealed the deal. And even though they underfilled my pint (don’t you hate that?), I just found another reason to love Kroger. This is Butterfingers galore!


I mean, I guess if you really thought about it, Butterfinger candy in vanilla non-ice cream isn’t all that exciting. But I absolutely adore Butterfingers and peanut butter, so this was perfect. There are chunks of Butterfingers that crunch just like the real candy, and there are flakes that are just more like chocolate. And it took me a while to notice, because at first I thought I was just getting some non-crunchy Butterfingers, but there is actually a peanut butter swirl in here too. It tastes just like the inside of a Butterfinger, but it has the texture of Ben & Jerry’s peanut butter swirl: chewy, yet slightly buttery, and gritty as well. The result is that it feels like eating the inside of a Butterfinger and very little chocolate.

The base is just kind of there, which is what you’d expect. I actually like the texture of frozen dairy desserts, despite the fact that they aren’t as dense and melt faster than regular ice cream. I don’t know, there’s just something nice about being able to easily take a spoonful as soon as it comes out of the freezer.


So. Next time none of this pint craziness, I’m getting the whole tub. (Actually, I already did.) My only complaint is that there could be more chocolate, but given that I’d gladly eat the candied peanut butter inside a Butterfingers regardless of any coating, I’ll take it. This one’s a repeat.
Post a Comment