Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Cinnamon French Toast Bake!


Quick post today because I have a lot to do (though significantly less now that the possibility of iOS 7 being released today is past). Not too much new, except that I saw my doctor on Friday and got back the results of all my bloodwork and bone density scan. The bloods all came back normal--yay!--and the bone scan showed I still have osteopenia, which is the best I could have hoped for given that I had the same results two years ago and that was before I lost fifteen pounds. Breathing a sigh of relief that I didn’t do more damage.


Oh yeah, and I grew a quarter of an inch and gained another ~10 pounds. I got really excited about the height, even if it was such a small amount that it was probably just the nurse being off a little bit. The weight...I’m ambivalent. On the one hand, I’m not exactly thrilled, but there’s really nothing much I can do about it because I can’t go back. I really actually don’t even know if it’s possible, if I even wanted to! I just don’t think I have it in me anymore.


On the other hand, a lot of it is probably still water because within days of starting to ride more after Sydney got here, my thighs swelled up and that is definitely not “real” weight gain.

On the other hand (yes, most people only have two hands but I am special), and this is a big one and I am absolutely thrilled (guys skip to next paragraph)...I HAVE BOOBS!! OK, not real boobs, but I can no longer get away without wearing a bra. (Which does have its downsides.) It used to fly with certain shirts, but no more! And they are actually interfering with my usual habit of flying on my stomach while I type my blog posts. Of course, they shrunk once before so they might very well do that again, but for the time being I’m at least sorta OK with gaining more weight since it appears that some of it is making me look more proportional at last.

But none of that was really what I wanted to post about, which was, of course, food!


This is the French toast bake I made over the weekend, using Pillsbury cinnamon rolls and the almond milk that was about to expire in my fridge. (Actually I still have the expired almond milk, I just used it to make Betty Crocker scalloped potatoes, and they taste fine so....) The original recipe is here, and as always I didn’t follow it. :)

French Toast Bake
1 can (8 rolls) Pillsbury refrigerated cinnamon rolls
10 tbsp. Egg Beaters (easier than 2.5 eggs :P)
1/4 cup almond milk
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla
6 tbsp(ish) maple syrup

First things first, grease the pan. Or butter it. Cooking spray, whatever, just make sure you prepare it in some way, otherwise these will never come out! (I used an 8x8.)

Cut each roll into eight pieces and throw them in the pan. Then beat the eggs, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon together in a separate bowl until they’re well mixed. The cinnamon kind of forms chunks and it doesn’t look “mixed” as in uniformly mixed, but whatever, it’s good enough.

Pour that over the cinnamon rolls and then top it all with the maple syrup. Bake for 20-22 minutes at 375. You could probably do less, because mine were browned on the top (more than I would usually cook cinnamon rolls) when I took them out. Depends on your preferences.


Drizzle the icing from the cinnamon rolls over top and you’re done! (Microwave the icing for about 10 seconds first so it’s drizzle-able.)


This was YUM. And the best part is, it’s passable as a breakfast food (not that I care, I eat ice cream for breakfast, it’s just that most people do). And just as good cold from the fridge. I think next time I make it (yes there will be a next time) I’ll use less of the liquid mixture, because it did get a little soggy on the bottom. But, yeah. Definitely try this sometime. No excuses, it’s too easy not to make at least once!
Post a Comment