Thursday, September 26, 2013

Review: Betty Crocker Sweet Rewards Triple Chip Cookie Bar

On my way down to North Carolina this summer, I only stopped once, when my car decided it needed gas. It was a Sheetz, I was crazy bored from four straight hours alone on similar-looking highways, I had just gotten pulled over for speeding near Fredericksburg, Virginia...OK, that’s too long a story to get into here. The point is, I stopped at Sheetz and, while there, impulsively seized a Betty Crocker Sweet Rewards Triple Chip Cookie Bar on my way to the cash register.




I’ve seen these things before, and always turned them down, so I don’t know what possessed me to buy it this time. Based on the picture on the wrapper, I was expecting an M&M chocolate chip cookie, but no...those little generic candy-coated bits of chocolate are so disappointingly...tiny. Plus, it came already broken and with the chocolate coating already smeared all over the inside of the wrapper. But both of those are probably my fault for transporting it another three or so hours in a car loaded with various loose pieces of luggage.


It looks like a slightly overdone cookie, and that’s pretty much what it tastes like. Not all that impressive, now I can tell my initial instincts were right. The sad little “chips” aren’t even big enough to add the crunch you get from real M&M’s. And I’m not even sure what the “triple” is for. Triple what? As far as I can tell, there’s only one kind of chip here, and it’s not even that great. One thing it does have going for it, though: it’s at least sweet, and it does taste like a chocolate chip cookie. Just not a great one.

I’m a raw-cookie person. It needs to be gooey and dense and soft and moist. Well, I said the thing looked overdone, and that’s the texture of it, too. It’s soft, yeah, but it’s neither moist nor dense. It’s more cakey than cookie-ish. I’ve said it before, but I don’t really like cake. I only eat it for the frosting. It’s too dry and crumbly. Same deal here.

If you don’t do raw, undercooked cookies, then this might be for you. Don’t get me wrong, it does taste like a chocolate chip cookie. But I’m not impressed enough to try the regular old chocolate chip bar, and the brownies are debatable. I liked the Fiber One 90 Calorie Chocolate Chip Cookie much better. And it was better for me. Sorry, Betty Crocker. Stick with the brownie mixes, don’t cook ‘em for us.
Post a Comment