Sunday, September 22, 2013

Review: MET-Rx ProteinPlus Chocolate Fudge Deluxe

So, after my ice cream successes at Kroger, and finding several new protein bars to test out, I decided it was my favorite store...until I found out they don’t carry Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Pop-Tarts. Darn, looks like I still need Food Lion after all.



But that’s beside the point. Which is, that I bought two MET-Rx bars while at Kroger, and I only posted about one. So it’s time for the other one, right?




This time it’s Chocolate Fudge Deluxe. As usual, another monster-sized protein bar.... Sound like enough chocolate for you?



Wow, you would not believe what it took to break this in half. Or maybe you would, looking at the mess it made on the napkin. I was literally straining pulling it apart while the goo and gummy base inside put up an impressive fight. On the plus side, the inside looks dark and extra chocolatey.

Well, it tastes pretty darn chocolatey, too. Oh sure, there’s the usual protein background, but it’s not too noticeable here; just enough to remind you that no, this is not a pure candy bar, there are actually 32 grams of protein in this monstrosity. The coating tastes like dark chocolate, which would be a first for MET-Rx unless it’s just the insides over-chocolating my taste buds and throwing them out of whack. The top layer lends a deep, fudgy taste that takes it to another level.

That said, the base was a bit disappointing. It reminded me of a Tootsie Roll, and in my opinion Tootsie Rolls are a really poor excuse for a chocolate flavored candy and not all that fun to chew either. So it was like putting hot fudge sauce on a Tootsie Roll: Why would you ruin perfectly good hot fudge sauce? OK, it wasn’t that bad, but it didn’t really contribute to the overall chocolatey-ness. On the other hand, the coating and goo had plenty of that going on to carry me through this bar.

On to texture...like I already mentioned, it’s tough. The base is gummy like a Tootsie Roll and you’re going to get a jaw workout unless (and even if) you take it slow. It’s a little juicy. Oh, and the goo...I love it. It’s almost syrupy, it gooshes in your mouth and sticks to everything, but I like it, I really do. It’s what takes this bar from an OK protein bar to a good one that I’d eat again.

Taste: 8--very chocolatey, though the Tootsie Roll base is a bit disappointing on that front. But the fudge layer totally makes up for it.
Texture: 7--it’ll make you work, that’s for sure. It’s like a monster Tootsie Roll, with gooey fudgy filling. I’d like a little more give to the base.
Health: 7--32 grams is a ton of protein, plus there are a lot of vitamins and good stuff. But it also takes up 39% of your daily saturated fat intake. And a LOT (26 g) of sugar alcohols! GoodGuide gives it a 7.7.
Eat Again? Sure.


Post a Comment