Monday, October 28, 2013

Chocolate Chip Pop-Tarts

When I moved, I quickly decided that Kroger was my favorite store. They had interesting protein bars, the most awesome cake-themed non-premium ice cream I’ve ever had, marshmallows far superior to Jet Puffed or even Great Value (Walmart), and huge (cheap) bags of generic Lucky Charms with way more marshmallows inside. It was great.


Then I went to buy Pop-Tarts.


Well, Kroger just doesn’t have Walmart’s selection of Pop-Tarts, or even that of the Super Target for that matter. I was choosing between fruit, Chocolate Fudge, Hot Fudge Sundae, and Chocolate Chip. Since the other categories were out, and I was out of Pop-Tarts with no desire to go to another store, the Chocolate Chip won the battle.


Like the Cinnamon Roll ones, these have the same frosting disadvantage; that drizzle doesn’t look like nearly enough. Plus they’re slightly burnt on the edges. Maybe most Pop-Tarts are like that and you just don’t notice because they’re not “naked.” They do look like chocolate chip cookies though, which is a nice touch.


Don’t get me wrong, these are pretty good and they do taste like chocolate chip cookies. They’re sweet and chocolatey and chewy in the center, with crispier outsides. The frosting is sugary and reminds me of hardened chocolate buttercream, which means I really wish there was more of it! But despite its meager appearance, you can still taste it against the chocolate chips, which is impressive for those little squiggles. It gives a grit to the whole thing. The chocolate filling tastes similar to the chocolate chips (which taste almost like mini chocolate chips), but sweeter. The pastry itself isn’t too bad, and actually does remind me somewhat of a baked cookie.

To be fair, I can see how frosting these like the traditional ones would get in the way of the chocolate chips. But can I help that I’m a frosting addict? I’d say, these get a good grade for being exactly what they claim to be, chocolate chip cookies disguised as a “breakfast” food. They’re just not real high up on my list of Pop-Tart favorites. After the Cookie Dough ones, these just seem like a lame little brother. It doesn’t have to be the same for you. They’re worth trying at least once.

Pop-Tarts Rankings:
  1. Chocolate Chip
Post a Comment