Saturday, October 26, 2013

Edy's Limited Edition Slow Churned Sunny Salted Caramel Pretzel (An Ice Cream Review)


Edy’s introduced three new limited edition Slow Churned flavors for the 2013 summer months. I’ve already tried Take the Cake with much success, and German Chocolate Cake Spectacular!, without much success. I’m guessing the third, Sunny Salted Caramel Pretzel, will fall somewhere between those two.




I’ve long loved Edy’s Slow Churned Caramel Delight, which is basically this without the pretzels. The swirl, though sometimes unevenly distributed, is thick and rich and doesn’t taste like a caramel swirl you’d expect from a light ice cream.


The only difference here is that the swirl seems, if possible, even gooier. Every scoop I took had strings of caramel running back to the container. Maybe I just hit a really loaded pocket of caramel, but I like it already!

If you think all that caramel muted out the pretzels, think again. Because they are still by far the dominant flavor. Edy’s has included tiny pretzels, just barely big enough for a crunch, but that just means they’re everywhere. The ice cream itself doesn’t even taste like vanilla because it’s infused with that salty, bready pretzel flavor. It gets to the point where you wonder if the caramel swirl it salted caramel, or if it’s just the profusion of pretzels. And they do stay relatively crunchy; I had a few that were slightly soggy, but not disgustingly so.


What can I say about the texture, it’s light so it melts fast, but then again it’s also really creamy. I’ve always been impressed with Edy’s ability to make such silky-smooth, rich ice cream with so little fat and calories. It even feels denser than Breyers’ higher-calorie Blasts!

I know I usually hate on pretzels, and I’ve never had them in ice cream before. But I thoroughly enjoyed this ice cream. There’s something about the extra-gooey caramel and the unique (to me, at least) addition of the salty pretzels that is making me crave more. That said, it doesn’t come close to Take the Cake...but what can you expect from a cake-batter-loving girl? I’d totally buy this again, and once more I wish it weren’t going away when summer does. I already keep a constant stock of Caramel Delight, and I could see myself alternating the two quite happily. It’s really a shame German Chocolate Cake didn’t turn out so well.
Post a Comment