Thursday, October 10, 2013

Kroger Deluxe Fried Ice Cream


It’s tough when I go into Kroger for ice cream not to push myself to try something new. Because I already fell in love with the Peanut Butter Candy Crunch and Cupcake Party, and three almost-half-gallons would be pushing it, even for me. I just can’t fit that much into my freezer with what’s already in there.



But I decided to switch it up (and I already had some other peanut butter ice cream at home) and bought their Fried Ice Cream flavor this time!


I really do wish they’d put descriptions on the containers! I do know what fried ice cream is, though, so I have some idea...


There are three components: base, swirl, and crunchy pieces of...something. Let’s start with those because they’re interesting. They’re sort of like churros. Definitely fried and definitely cinnamon. They’re interesting because while they start out mainly crunchy, there is a chew factor as well. They get stuck in your teeth, but not in an annoying way. I would prefer a soft and chewy mix-in, but these are fun too.


The swirl appears to be caramel. It’s certainly funky. Very sweet, almost cloying. There isn’t a whole lot of it, so it’s hard to get a good read on it. But it’s a good complement to the base, which reminds me a lot of the base in the Kroger Snickerdoodle ice cream. Actually it’s pretty much the same thing. It’s a mild cinnamon, with milky tones. The difference here is in the other components.

If I had to pick one, I’d go with the snickerdoodle just because I liked this texture of the cookies more. The caramel swirl in this one is definitely an attraction, but since there’s not a whole lot of it the snickerdoodles in the other one win out. But this one is almost as good.
Post a Comment