Sunday, October 6, 2013

Low Fat Brown Sugar Cinnamon Pop-Tarts

I remember growing up eating Pop-Tarts for breakfast and totally not caring that it was basically a dessert. I loved them. Back then, there wasn’t all this crazy Wildberry and Nutty stuff going on, no cookie dough or cinnamon rolls in our Pop-Tarts. It was a big deal for me when S’mores and Cookies & Cream came out. Before that it was just the old warriors: Chocolate, Strawberry, Blueberry, maybe some other fruits (I never ate the fruit ones), and Brown Sugar Cinnamon.


I always loved those brown sugar ones. Before Cinnamon Roll came along and stole their thunder, they were the only cinnamon-infused breakfast pastry around. My mom and I used to bond over our shared affinity for them. I used to pass up the chocolate ones for these things, imagine that!



Well, I may be a different person now, but how much could Brown Sugar Cinnamon change over the years? Well, quite a bit. These are, in fact, Low Fat Brown Sugar Cinnamon Pop-Tarts. Probably not what I would have chosen, but it’s what was in the cupboard and I once again “borrowed” them to take to North Carolina with me. ***Disclaimer: I have no idea how long this box was (open) in the cabinet before I got to them...must have been a while because my mom has gone through several boxes of Strawberry in the time that they were in there. And they were well-hidden behind a bunch of other stuff we rarely eat, which is never a good sign.


So. Low fat, combined with possible age, means that the pastry shell part of these is...well, it’s down there with the chocolate ones I always complain about. One of them even looked burnt, but they were both crunchy around the edges and I could hear them cracking off. Overall, sort of gummy and hard to swallow. They were a little bendy, too, which was disconcerting because I’m pretty sure Pop-Tarts aren’t supposed to feel like those rulers you had in middle school that you could make weird shapes out of.

On the plus side, the even the edges retain a hint of brown sugar and cinnamon. Or maybe it’s just my mind projecting its expectations onto reality. Anyway, the frosting covers more of these than many other kinds, going end-to-end lengthwise. And the frosting on these is sooo good...it’s crunchy in a sugary way, adding lovely grit, and it’s like eating slightly milder brown sugar right out of the bag. The cinnamon comes more from the filling. Which isn’t gooey like the other Pop-Tarts I’ve eaten, but that could be due to the low fat/oldness again. Either way, I didn’t miss the goo, and somewhere along the line I actually started enjoying the gummy state, somewhere between crunchy and soft, that these Pop-Tarts took on.

OK, maybe not the best review, since their state was questionable, but I did enjoy them; I’m only putting them at the bottom of the list (below) because they’re not chocolate, but sometimes I need a break from chocolate and these are fine for that purpose. There’s something comforting about going back to foods from your early childhood. And you know what I found out? These are delicious dipped in Funfetti yogurt. :) Your move, Pillsbury...cinnamon confetti cake, anyone?

My Pop-Tarts rankings:
  1. Cookie Dough
  2. Red Velvet
  3. Chocolate Peanut Butter
  4. Cookies & Cream
  5. Confetti Cake
  6. Cinnamon Roll
  7. Chocolate Fudge
  8. Low Fat Brown Sugar Cinnamon
  9. Hot Fudge Sundae
Post a Comment