Friday, October 25, 2013

Pop-Tarts Gone Nutty! Part 2: Peanut Butter

Now that Pop-Tarts have Gone Nutty!, and I’ve tried the Frosted Chocolate Peanut Butter kind, it only seems fair that I give its Peanut Butter sibling a whirl as well. Although how the same flavor, only lacking both chocolate and frosting, can hope to come close, is beyond my comprehension. Anyway, the plain old Peanut Butter Pop-Tarts are peanut butter pastry and peanut butter filling. They don’t have frosting, but they do have sugar on top.




It might look plain on the outside, but it certainly smells like peanut butter. And I can verify that there’s plenty of filling inside. Which also smells like peanut butter. All of this, except the lack of frosting, is a good sign so far.




OK, so I thought I wasn’t really going to enjoy these that much. I mean, the frosting is the main reason I even eat Pop-Tarts in the first place, because I’m not a huge fan of the pastry part. (It’s like not liking cake but eating it for the frosting...guilty as charged.) Anyway, I was surprised. The pastry on these is a little crunchy on the outsides, but on the whole it’s actually pretty soft. The sugar granules on top are just like the ones on those yummy peanut butter cookies you get from the bakery, and in fact that’s what these Pop-Tarts taste like. Well, a bit milder than a cookie, but it still reminded me of a peanut butter cookie.


With peanut butter filling. This filling isn’t as gooey as other Pop-Tarts. Well, it is gooey, but it’s thicker and even a little sticky, like actual peanut butter. It even stuck to the roof of my mouth a little bit, which was pretty cool. It’s a funny sort of peanut butter, not salty at all but really sweet, and it also has a roasted taste...burnt, but in a good way. The whole thing is really unique.


I thought I would miss the frosting on these, but I didn’t. Just putting the sugar on top lets the filling and peanut butter pastry star in the action, creating a toastable, portable, breakfast-acceptable version of a peanut butter cookie. Not as good as the frosted ones, but close. Very close.


Pop-Tarts rankings:
Post a Comment