Monday, October 14, 2013

Special K Pastry Crisps Cookies & Creme and Chocolatey Caramel


It seems like whenever I go to the grocery store, Special K is everywhere. They make cereal, snack bars, meal bars, now hot cereal, shakes, chips...is there anything they don’t make? I’ve seen their Pastry Crisps forever, but always wrote them off as a lamer and crunchy version of Pop-Tarts for dieters who didn’t want all the calories. But something, perhaps boredom with the monotony of eating Pop-Tarts all the time, made me throw a box of Cookies & Creme Pastry Crisps in my cart.



Now, there are two crisps per packet and each packet comes in at exactly 100 calories. So they’re not going to be the size of Pop-Tarts, obviously. Combined, they’re slightly smaller than the size of one Pop-Tart. Since I eat Pop-Tarts for the frosting and filling, I was a little skeptical of these and hoping they had a lot more filling than they appeared to.


Well, they didn’t...BUT. There’s something addicting about them all the same. The crisp chocolate outside tastes just like the cookie part of an Oreo, and although the creme on the inside is very thin, you can still taste it. They’re funny, in that the outside is crunchy but the inside is almost chewy or gummy, so there’s a soft component to them as well. I’m not sure I’d call them “crisps,” except that they’re not pastry-soft either.

Anyway, I enjoyed them so much that before I even finished that box, I bought another one--this time Chocolatey Caramel, true to my caramel-fiend inner self. These feature the same outer shell and are pretty much identical to the Cookies & Creme aside from the taste of the filling. In this case, it’s harder to separate the filling’s taste from that of the crisp, and there seems to be less of it (probably an illusion), but it does lend a sweeter, lightly-caramel flavor. I wish it was stronger; I enjoyed the Cookies & Creme more.


The mess is a bit of a downside, in that it’s hard to eat these without something under your mouth to catch the crumbs. And they’re gone way too fast. But really, I’m glad I finally got over my bias and bought these. They’re definitely good for satisfying a chocolate or sweet craving. Now I’m eyeing up the Chocolatey Delight and Brown Sugar Cinnamon ones!
Post a Comment