Monday, November 18, 2013

Review: Fiber One 90 Calorie Lemon Bar


I hinted a while ago that I had a couple of free Fiber One lemon bars on the way in the mail, and finally, they arrived! These are something that I normally wouldn’t buy for myself because I just don’t like lemon things (the exception being Quest’s Lemon Cream Pie bar and the occasional lemon pound cake). So this was a good opportunity.


It’s exactly the same as the other 90 calorie brownies, except this time it smells like lemon cake or cookies...I feel like there’s such a thing as lemon sugar cookies and that this smells like them, but I really have no idea. If they don’t exist, I just invented them.


Wow, that’s definitely sour. They didn’t waste time trying to make the lemon any less lemony. It starts out OK, and then it all hits you in a rush like, BAM! The icing is really the only sweet note, and it only does so much to mitigate the acidity. Even the things inside that appear to be white chocolate, and do to some extent have that vibe, emit a sour taste.

In terms of texture, it’s good. Like the other bars in this line, it’s sort of cakey and fairly moist, though less so than a homemade brownie; it’s closer to cake than brownies (at least the way I bake them). It’s not particularly dense, but then again it’s only 90 calories to that’s to be expected. The white chocolate-looking chips are crunchy and have a melt-in-your mouth feel that’s just pretty cool.

Needless to say, this was my least favorite 90 calorie “brownie,” and I’m glad I didn’t have to buy it in the first place. But if you’re a fan of lemon-flavored desserts, this is probably right up your alley. It’s not a bad product by any means, it’s just the wrong product for me.
Post a Comment