Sunday, November 3, 2013

Review: Lenny & Larry's All Natural Muscle Brownie Cookies & Cream


OK, so a lot of companies seem to see value in making protein-infused desserts. Especially brownies. I’m not sure why brownies got chosen, except maybe that they’re the closest thing to a protein bar, it’s just funny when there are all these protein bars flavored chocolate fudge brownie or something similar, to find protein brownies flavored cookies & cream.




This is Lenny & Larry’s All Natural Muscle Brownie, in Cookies & Cream flavor.Yeah, maybe it’s weird, but I felt like I should give it a try. The other weird thing is having there be two servings in one package, even though it’s still one brownie. I know exactly what they’re doing, it’s what the entire food industry does, but it’s still annoying.


However. That does not detract from the quality of the product, which is, to say the least, very good. First off, it smells exactly like a fudgey brownie. I’m guessing the little white chunks are supposed to stand in for the “cream” in cookie & cream. The only thing that gave me pause before taking the first bite is that it is really, really hard to break a chunk off.

Funny enough, that translates into a texture that is like fudge with a little more resistance. Like frozen fudge. Well, not frozen, but very very cold and solid fudge. Basically, it’s perfect. Those little white things are actually crunchy, like the cookie part of an Oreo, which just adds to the overall cookies & cream theme. There’s a bit of grit, especially in the afterfeel, as well as creaminess as it breaks down in your mouth.

The taste is a close match. It could almost pass fudge, if not for the slight aftertaste. You know the kind--that bitter “Hey, haha, there was protein in there!” aftertaste. That said, it’s easy to overlook in light of the almost exact imitation of chocolate. I certainly can’t say it tastes like cookies & cream, but I really don’t even care because it was just so good!

I feel like there’s a slight mislabeling here in that I’d liken it to fudge rather than a brownie, but other than that it’s a keeper. Of course it is, since I love fudge! Now I’m curious about the other flavors, too.

Taste: 10--I’m going to overlook the slight aftertaste in light of the perfect fudge imitation.
Texture: 10--Like more solid fudge, with Oreo cookie crisp texture to break things up.
Eat Again? Yes!
Post a Comment