Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Review: NoGii Paleo Nuts About Berries


It seems like forever ago that I won all those bars from NoGii, but I guess it wasn’t really...but still too long ago for me to still have half of them left! I’ve been trying to work my way through the remainder of my untried protein bars, it’s a long process, but I’m getting there. Next up is the NoGii Paleo Nuts About Berries bar.



Now I could rail on for a whole entire blog post about just what I think about eating paleo...but that’s a whole other story and I’m sure some of you reading are paleoing your hearts out, so we’ll stop here and get back to the review. It’s amazing how much this looks like the ZonePerfect Perfectly Simple Cranberry Almond bar. It smells similar too, although I can’t distinguish a particular berry, I suppose it generically smells like “berries.” I’d venture a guess that I’m smelling cranberries, since they were also in the ZonePerfect bar.


Honestly, I couldn’t tell much difference between the two. Other than that this one is paleo, of course. It’s very fruity and almost a shock how tart it is. I’m not really a fan of tart things, I like sweet much better, but I realize that not many people have this enormous sweet tooth.... That said, it’s not like I was forcing it down, but when the ingredients list says “dried unsweetened tart cherries” they really mean it. Come to think of it, is there such thing as a sweetened tart cherry? I feel like that would just equate to a...well, a cherry.

Sorry, off track again. The main component of this bar is the pasty fruit gunk holding everything together. Sorry, that didn’t sound appetizing at all. Maybe “gunk” is the wrong word. It’s sort of sticky, sort of not, gummy, and crunchy because the nuts mixed in. It’s not a crispy crunch like a lot of nutrition bars, it’s more like the crunch you get with, um, nuts. Well, it is called Nuts About Berries....

So, sorry if I haven’t really given you anything you couldn’t have gleaned from the packaging. It wasn’t something I would have picked up on my own, and it’s still not. It’s not offensive, just not my thing. If you’re into dried cranberries and such, go for it.
Post a Comment